Today’s goddess is Proserpina
Goddess of: The Underworld
Place: Ancient Rome
Depiction: A beautiful young woman
Roman myth tells us that Proserpina was adupted by Pluto who took her into the underworld as his wife. When Proserpina’s mother found out (Ceres, the goddess of the earth) she was so upset she caused plants to stop growing leaving a curse on Sicily. Pluto was forced to allow Proserpina return to her mother, but before she left he tricked her into eating 6 pomegranate seeds, meaning she could only spend 6 months with her mother before having to return to the underworld with Pluto.
Fun Fact: Proserpina’s journey to and forth the underworld explains the changing of the seasons. When Proserpina leaves the underworld every year, Ceres is overjoyed and causes flowers and plants to grow, but when Proserpina returns to the underworld Ceres covers the land with snow and ice, as a sign of her sorrow.
I have recognized her.
- elletrois likes this
- elseavers reblogged this from aprildaughter
- violet-grubs reblogged this from godoftheday and added:
- aprildaughter reblogged this from godoftheday
- lookingthroughthenether reblogged this from godoftheday
- lookingthroughthenether likes this
- byironandblood reblogged this from godoftheday
- heckster reblogged this from onewordincredible
- esotericsnob reblogged this from godoftheday
- esotericsnob likes this
- godoftheday posted this